The weekend Summer Salad Series continues with an update on a classic fruit salad from Nicole of Confectionalism. This delicious combination of ginger, mint and melon is sure to be refreshing on a hot summer day. A perfect party dish for your next summer soiree too! Now excuse me while I head out to get some ingredients– I could eat this all day long.
Melons, oh summer melons. I love how refreshing they are. Cantaloupe is definitely my favorite, but all the melons have a special place in my heart. This recipe is super refreshing on a hot summer day.
The melon pieces are coated in a zingy ginger syrup and sprinkled with fresh mint. It’s super light, super simple, super melony, and super tasty. Best eaten on a beach, boat, or just sunbathing. Picnic fare worth bragging about.
- 4 cups varied, diced melon, such as Cantaloupe, honey dew, and watermelon
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ inch piece of fresh ginger root,
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the ginger piece and boil for 1 min. Place in a airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. You can leave this ginger syrup to infuse overnight if you want a stinger ginger taste. Once ginger simple syrup has infuse, strain through a sieve to remove ginger pieces.
- Combine varied, diced melons in a large bowl.
- Pour ginger syrup over the melon.
- Add minced mint leaves and salt.
- Toss to coat the melon pieces evenly in the ginger syrup and mint.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Doesn’t that look delicious? I love a new twist on an old favorite like fruit salad, and ginger/mint has to be one of the most refreshing combos around. Thanks to Nicole from Confectionalism for sharing your delicious summer salad recipe!