If you’re looking for the best affordable Halloween decorations, check out the spooky decor we found on Amazon! Whether you’re searching for creative Halloween DIY ideas or indoor and outdoor decor that’s ready to go, here’s what we’re scooping up to decorate our home for Halloween 2020.
Please don’t throw rotten pumpkins at me, but I have to confess: I’m not the biggest Halloween decorator out there. ::ducks head:: That being said, this holiday does fire up my creative side and in 2020 more than ever we NEED a distraction, so the kids and I went on a bit of a Halloween decor spree!
My style tends to be neutral colors and natural textures, so we skipped the bright plastic decorations and went for something a bit more ‘understated haunted house’ and spooky (as opposed to gore and horror. This year has been horrible enough, right? UGH!)
No matter what your style may be, you can use the Making Lemonade seasonal decorating mantra to build your Halloween decor capsule: only buy what you love, and use items you can keep out all year long (such as vases, frames and glass domes) and swap out what’s inside them as the seasons change.
Note: This post is not sponsored but does contain affiliate links to make shopping easy. Read my full disclosure here.
What would you put in a Halloween Decor Capsule?
Y’all know I love my decor capsules! It’s how I keep my clutter to a minimum while still decorating seasonally. I prefer to buy pieces that can be styled differently each season, and/or stand-alone pieces that can be easily switched out every few months.
Holiday Decorating Formula
It boils down to a 3 step decorating formula that works for every season. It’s easy as 1-2-3!
1. Invest in a few decorating pieces that can be used year-round:
- glass domes or cloches
- glass vases (fill with different filler each season)
- beautiful vases
- wooden trenchers
- chalkboard or letterboard (just change the sayings on it, so easy!)
- battery operated candles (gorgeous for Christmas, and hang with fishing line so they float for Halloween!)
- marble-like statues (add spooky eyes for Halloween, a wreath on it’s head for Christmas, crown of flowers for spring…)
2. Swap out these decor pieces as the seasons change:
- garlands (I’m obsessed with this gold moon phases garland)
- pillows or pillow covers
- framed art (choose a frame you love in all seasons and switch what’s inside every few months to reflect the season)
- faux flowers
- vase filler
- candle holders
- barware (like these shot glasses— aren’t they cool?!)
3. Sprinkle in a few decorations that are specific to the holiday such as:
I’m adding these Skull Planters to my cart, ASAP.
Maybe a mantel scarf for a spooky vignette.
Add some (faux) skulls and skeletons to tabletops and bookcases for a bit of creep factor.
Perch faux ravens or crows on art, vases, books… the possibilities are endless. Poe would be delighted, I’m sure.
These hairy spiders (EEK!) can be used indoors or outdoors.
I have oversized wood chain links on my entryway table that I use year-round as decor, so this metal-look chain would be a funny swap!
Can you really find great Halloween decor on Amazon?
Yes! And if you’re a Prime member, you’ll get free shipping on most of it, too. I didn’t think I’d find much on Amazon since I tend to like more upscale pieces that we will want to use year after year, so I was shocked at what I found when I went digging. With a little creativity, you can set up your own haunted house with these budget-friendly finds.
See how it goes together so beautifully?! All of those items in the collage below are from Amazon!
I guess for not being much of a ‘Halloween decorator’, I do have some fun with this holiday. My kids love helping put it all out, and using my decorating mantra above there’s any easy way to store it in the off-season.