A poignant memory for me was moving out of my parent’s home and into my first apartment (nine states and a 16-hour car ride away). In the midst of the chaos of packing the night before I left, my mom was rushing to finish writing something and in the last hours handed me a few index cards filled with her unmistakable handwriting. Looking closer, I realized they contained several of my favorite recipes– her Orange Kabobs, Russian Tea Cookies, and our household favorite– Baked Teriyaki Chicken Wings. Looking back as a mom now myself, this memory brings me to tears! It’s such a wonderful, warm, “mom” thing to do. Her ‘famous’ Teriyaki Chicken Wings recipe made me the hit of parties in my 20’s and is still a hit here at home in my… um… later than 20’s.
The original recipe contained lots of butter and sugar, in the intervening years I’ve modified the recipe and shaved off the extra fat and calories to make it less guilt inducing. That being said, if you want them richer or sweeter you can add that back in…. however, they are pretty darn delicious as described in the recipe below. Thankfully they are baked which takes out the frying component, and don’t involve flour so as long as you use gluten-free soy sauce they’re also gluten-free. Might I add, these are a party favorite and make great appetizers for the holidays as well as snacks for the big game. We’ve been known to make them for dinner with a salad on the side. 😉
Here it is, delicious Baked Teriyaki Chicken Wing Recipe straight from my mom’s recipe file!
Baked Teriyaki Chicken Wing Recipe (Delicious Appetizer Idea!)
- 3 lbs chicken wings tips removed and split at joint-- I buy mine already done for me from Whole Foods
- 1 cup soy sauce get the gluten-free version for those who need it
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar you can actually cut this amount in half and it tastes just as good
- 2 Tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder if you skip this ingredient, add an extra teaspoon of the ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken wings in a large casserole dish (I usually use a large glass Pyrex baking dish).
- Mix remaining ingredients (soy sauce through garlic) in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Pour marinade over wings and bake for 1 hr 30 minutes. Turn wings halfway through.
- Turn your oven to broil and brown wings a few minutes ON EACH SIDE until crispy. You can do this on a cookie sheet but truthfully I'm lazy and do this in the same dish. This really gets the sauce to thicken and set in. Take out and enjoy!
The moral of the story? When your daughter tells you she’s moving what feels like a world away and there’s nothing you can do to stop her, hand her your favorite recipes and she’ll NEVER truly be far from home.
Happy holidays, friends! Let me know if you try these wings! And thank you, mom… for everything.
Ready to ditch the stress and have a calm holiday season?
GET OUR FREE ALL IS CALM HOLIDAY PLANNER
plus exclusive access to our entire printables vault