This recipe for easy to make DIY gel air fresheners eliminates odors naturally and offers a homemade way to fragrance your home with essential oils!
While I love the look of candles, I just can’t get over the fact they add toxins into our home and make the air harder to breathe (especially for the two asthmatics in our house!) Plus, they pose a fire hazard that just isn’t worth the risk to me. With that in mind, we’ve started using these easy homemade gel air fresheners that look like candles and scent the air with a delicious, essential oil-infused scent. You can place them all over the house anywhere that tends to need an air freshener (bathrooms, holla!) and they’ll absorb odors naturally… no flames or toxins needed.
What is the gel in the air freshener?
I don’t know about commercial brands, but these gel ‘candles’ are actually a mix of water, gelatin, vodka, and essential oils. Sounds like a frat party to me! (just kidding. back in college, I didn’t use essential oils.) 😉 The amount of vodka is extremely small, but even so, it’s always a good idea to keep out of the reach of kids and pets. And college students. #jelloshotsanyone?
How do you make gel air fresheners?
It’s easier than you think! There are only 4 ingredients needed and you might even already have them on hand:
1 c. cool water
1 package gelatin mix
1/8 tsp. vodka
1/2 tsp. essential oil of choice (I used Citrus Fresh!)
4 oz. mini-mason jars
How to Make the Gel Air Fresheners
- Step One: Bring 1/2 cup of the water to a boil.
- Step Two: Add gelatin to the water and stir until it is all dissolved. Add the rest of the water and stir.
- Step Three: Add vodka and essential oil and stir until mixture is all blended.
- Step Four: Pour into a clean glass jar (small mason jars are great!) and let candle set for several hours.
Ahhhhhhh! Smells so good.
We used Citrus Fresh as the fragrance because it’s so uplifting and helps eliminate odors.
Favorite essential oil combos for freshening the air:
- Mojito: Lime and Peppermint essential oil
- 7-up: Lemon and Lime essential oil
- Breath of Fresh Air: Spearmint and Peppermint essential oil
- Walk in the Woods: any of the “woody” essential oils such in the Pine, Fir or Spruce family
- Spa Day: Rosemary and Eucalyptus essential oil
- Take Me Away: Lemon and Lavender essential oil
- Don’t Bug Me: Citronella and Lemongrass essential oil
- Happy Holidays: Thieves essential oil
- and Purification essential oil is a miracle worker!
Here’s a handy printable format for you:
No-Flame Gel Candles
- 1 cup cool water
- 1 package gelatin mix
- 1/8 tsp vodka
- 1/2 tsp essential oil of choice I used Citrus Fresh!
- Bring 1/2 cup of the water to a boil.
- Add gelatin to the water and stir until it is all dissolved. Add the rest of the water and stir.
- Add vodka and essential oil and stir until mixture is all blended.
- Pour into a clean glass jar (small mason jars are great!) and let candle set.
They make great gifts and are fun for Make & Take parties too. Personally, I love changing out the scents each season to keep our home smelling fresh… naturally!