Banana Bread Donuts (Delicious Breakfast Recipe!)
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Whether you spell them ‘doughnuts’ or ‘donuts’, I have a FUN recipe for you today that you’ll love no matter HOW you want to spell the word. Aside from that conundrum, the only other troubling part is I’m not sure if I should call it a healthier version of the classic doughnut or a new twist on the iconic banana bread. Hmmmmm, let’s just say that when a doughnut and a banana bread fall in love and get married you get this: Banana Bread Doughnuts!
These donuts are baked, making them healthier than the fried version. This recipe calls for a simple glaze as pictured BUT you can spritz ever so lightly with water or olive oil when they come out of the oven then toss in a paper bag filled with cinnamon and brown sugar to kick them up a notch. Messier, but so so good!
This doughnut pan is totally worth getting but be forewarned– once people catch wind that you can make doughnuts you are going to be even more popular (if that’s even possible, you party person, you.) 😉
Banana Bread Donuts
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup sour cream or use plain yogurt for a healthier version!
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- Sugar glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a donut baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixer add the applesauce, sour cream, mashed bananas, eggs, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate the flour and sugar.
- Mix until your batter is uniform in consistency.
- Fill the donut pan with the batter.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Garnish with the glaze or shake in a paper bag filled with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tip #1: Be sure to spray the donut pan before adding in the dough! I love to use my olive oil mister, it’s so much healthier than commercial cooking sprays and my mister has lasted 5+ years and is still going strong.
Tip #2: To put dough in the donut pan mess free, first add the batter to a baggie and snip off the corner. Then, squeeze batter into the donut molds. Easy peasy, and no messes!
image via Amazon
SHOP THE POST:
Here’s a few of the tools mentioned in the recipe that we use and love!
What holiday morning traditions do you have? And what are your favorite treats to whip up when guests arrive?