These easy to make red white and blue cupcakes are perfect for your 4th of July celebrations! Festive sprinkles look like fireworks and taste delicious too, making these desserts the hit of your Fourth of July table.
Looking for more red, white and blue dessert ideas? Here’s 21 delicious red, white and blue desserts and treats for the 4th of July!
The Fourth of July is always a big deal in our home because it coincides with my daughter’s birthday. We call her our little firework, and she loves to bake so these red, white and blue mini-cupcakes are the perfect choice for celebrating!
If you’ve been following along for awhile, you know I’m all about simple tricks to make things easily, quickly, and beautifully. This recipe falls right into that category, because it starts with boxed cake mix and tweaks it to create an EASY ‘Funfetti’ style dessert that will look gorgeous at your 4th of July picnic or dessert table.
My kids are obsessed with sprinkles and go nuts for Funfetti cake and cupcakes, but the boxed mixes don’t always have coordinating colors. That’s why I love this ‘recipe’, because we can use our own sprinkles to match the theme (in this case, the 4th of July.)
Plus, the kids love to make it and so it counts as a screen-free activity, of which I’m trying to do more of lately since we can’t really travel anywhere right now.
Tips for Making Funfetti Style Cupcakes
While this recipe calls for egg whites, you can also use whole eggs, the batter will be a little more yellow.
Also, when mixing the sprinkles make sure to fold them in carefully otherwise the colors will run.
How to Make Funfetti Cupcakes
Red White and Blue Funfetti Cupcakes for 4th of July
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature* *you can also use whole eggs, the batter will be a little more yellow.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup red and blue sprinkles
- frosting (use your favorite recipe or brand)
- cupcake liners
- additional sprinkles and decorations to top the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and add cupcake liners to pan
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, egg whites, buttermilk, and oil
- Mix until completely smooth
- Fold in sprinkles carefully so colors don’t run
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely on a wire rack
- Decorate with frosting of your choice, and add sprinkles or other decorations
Aren’t they the cutest?! My daughter is super excited to celebrate her birthday with these cupcakes, even though this year looks very different than normal. Cupcakes make a great dessert this year since they’re single serving size, no contact needed to serve them!