You know how some people are the life of the party and make you want to laugh till your sides hurt? Well, within seconds of meeting Linda I could tell she was one of those people. Plus, she has a blog all about booze, people– and you know I enjoy a great cocktail on occasion. Linda’s here today with a fantastic cocktail recipe just in time for Cinco de Mayo: a Red Grapefruit and Honey Margarita. Because there are margaritas, and then there are MARGARITAS. Can’t wait to try this one!
Nothing says Cinco de Mayo more than a margarita. But, instead of the traditional-style margarita, today we are going to kick it up a notch and try something different. These Red Grapefruit and Honey Margaritas are refreshing and add a more sophisticated flair to a standard cocktail.
These Red Grapefruit and Honey Margaritas are so yummy, you will wonder why you haven’t tried them before. But, I urge you to use some caution. These margaritas are so good they may too good – as in, goes down way too fast good.
Still want the recipe?
Ok, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Here we go.
To begin, the base of the margaritas are made from fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice and the flavors build from there. Grapefruit juice is a great mixer for margaritas as it replaces the need for sour mix since the fruit itself has a natural tartness. I then add honey to add sweetness to the margarita without adding sugar. Honey is a great mixer for cocktails and adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cocktails. The flavors are then topped off with a hint of orange juice to add yet another dimension of citrus.
Plus, there’s the sugar:
Ready? Here’s the recipe!
Red Grapefruit and Honey Margarita
- 2 grapefruit whole
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 dry measuring cups of ice
- margarita salt for rim of the glass
- colored sugar crystals I used orange and yellow
- a wedge of grapefruit for garnish
- Mix margarita salt and colored sugar crystals on a small plate. Moisten margarita glass rim by taking a wedge of grapefruit and rimming the glass with the wedge. Dip moistened rim in margarita salt and colored sugar mix.
- Squeeze or juice the grapefruit to make freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice (my grapefruit yielded approximately 1 cup of fresh juice).
- Add juice to the blender and pour in tequila, triple sec, orange juice, honey, and ice. Blend until smooth and frothy. For a more frozen effect, add more ice.
- Pour mixture into a margarita glass and garnish with grapefruit wedge. Makes two large margaritas.
Can’t you just picture it now? Sitting back on your patio or deck, with your feet up, sipping the day away. With a few simple ingredients, you can have fresh, fun margaritas in your hand in just minutes. Doesn’t that sound perfect?
Go on, enjoy. You deserve it.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
About the Author:
Linda Arceo is an established home cook and writer. As a former bartender, Linda regularly writes about cocktails and spirited beverages and enjoys mixing fun cocktails for her friends. Linda can be found writing regularly on her blog, Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps. Linda can also be found on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.