This easy lavender simple syrup recipe has so oodles of delicious uses- from flavoring cocktails to making lavender lemonade to adding to lattes or drizzling over waffles. Plus, it makes a great DIY gift idea or DIY wedding favors for foodies. Plus, with just a few minutes of prep you can whip it up just about any time you’re in the mood for a lavender cocktail like this famous lavender martini or frothing into a lavender latte.
As much as I love the smell of lavender, it didn’t occur to me to cook with it until my friends and I fell head over heels in love with this Lavender Martini during one of our frequent trips to Charleston. I used to buy pricey lavender simple syrup to make the cocktails at home, but it had added ingredients I didn’t want and I wasn’t sure of the source of the lavender. Turns out, making your own lavender simple syrup is a straight-up cinch!
The hardest part (and, it’s really not hard) is getting your hands on organic lavender. You can grow it yourself, or find dried lavender for cooking right on Amazon (holllla, Prime delivery!) I actually got mine at a local spice market. So there’s three sources right there for dried lavender. Who knew?!
Not only is it easy to make, but add some twine and a few fresh springs and look at how cute! Lavender simple syrup makes great gifts and the bottles are inexpensive and come in various sizes (these are adorable and these are a fantastic size for larger batches.) Just be sure to sterilize them first so they last longer as the syrup itself doesn’t contain preservatives.
Lavender Simple Syrup Uses
- Use in place of regular simple syrup in lemonade to make Lavender Lemonade
- Use to make Lavender Martinis or other flavored herbal cocktails
- Stir into lattes as your sweetener (there’s a delish lavender and honey latte I always get in Charleston!)
- Make glazes for desserts such as lemon cake, or add to sweet treats
- Whip into whipped cream or cool whip for a fresh dessert topping
- Add a sprig of lavender and give as party favors, wedding favors, or as a DIY gift
- Pour over pancakes or waffles as an alternative to maple syrup
How to Make Lavender Simple Syrup
Tips for Making Lavender Simple Syrup
- Make syrup in small batches (or store in small bottles, if giving as gifts) so you can use the entire contents before it expires
- Go for organic dried lavender when possible to avoid exposure to chemicals which would alter the taste and purity of the simple syrup
- Sterilize the jars before using so the simple syrup can be stored longer
Lavender Simple Syrup Recipe
Lavender Simple Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 TB dried lavender OR 2TB fresh lavender blossoms
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved, simmer for one minute, and then remove from heat.
- Let cool for 30 minutes while the flavors develop.
- Pour through a strainer into sterilized glass bottles or jars to remove all solid pieces.
Lavender simple syrup is so easy to make, I can’t believe I’ve been buying it for years. Summer may be coming to a close but now I can bottle it all year long!
PS- if you love lavender and herbs as much as I do, you may want to try using natural cleaning products. Click the image below to get my free ebook for Cleaning Your Home with Vinegar: