Looking for a natural and easy way to dispel odors in your home? Your home will smell amazing, naturally, with these glowing winter luminaries made with common household ingredients and your favorite essential oils! Plus, these mason jar candle holders are so beautiful they’ll double as decor and make gorgeous winter centerpieces.
Well, Christmas is over and we’re officially into a new year! I’m not sure how you feel about a new year, but it’s always a huge build up of anticipation with hopes, dreams and plans… and then January 2nd hits and I’m already tired and missing the coziness of the Christmas season.
These winter luminaries are a perfect way to bridge the gap from Christmas into winter! They are made with natural essential oils which makes them a chemical-free way to scent your home. They’re a piece of cake to make, with no need for electricity so you can use them in cases of harsh weather if your electricity goes out. Not to mention, and I may be a bit biased, but these things are pretty gorgeous, right?
Of course, the elephant in the room is whether these are called ‘luminarias’ or ‘luminaries’. The first spelling is the correct word, but the second is what everyone calls them. Haha! So in true blogging fashion, I’m admitting they’re technically ‘luminarias’ but have interchanged that here so those searching for them on the interwebs can find them!
Which essential oils are good for winter?
No matter which scent you get, be sure the essential oil itself is 100% pure without any fillers. Personally, this is the only brand I trust because of their strict guidelines for growing, harvesting, distilling, and bottling the oils (which I’ve witnessed firsthand at one of their farms!) It depends on your needs of course, but here’s a few essential oils I always have on hand during the winter months:
- Lavender Essential Oil: soothing, calming, stress-relieving
- Lemon Essential Oil: mood boosting, reduces desire to eat sweets, clean and happy scent
- Peppermint Essential Oil: supports focus and energy, boosts mood
- Christmas Spirit Essential Oil Blend: festive and happy scent, not just for Christmas!
- Thieves Essential Oil Blend: supports immunity and cleaning
- Eucalyptus and Rosemary: support healthy respiration, with soothing scents
Watch How to Make Winter Luminarias:
What Do You Need to Make Winter Luminarias?
The supplies are simple!
- mason jars
- unscented floating candles
- fruit and herbs of your choice: rosemary, cranberries, lemon slices, orange slices
- 100% pure essential oils
How to Make Winter Luminaries
1. First, slice your orange into thin slices. Put the oranges into the bottom of your empty mason jar.
2. Fill your mason jar about 3/4 of the way full with water.
3. Garnish with your herbs, berries and any more citrus fruit you decide to use. I used rosemary and cranberries!
4. Add 10 to 12 drops of Young Living Essential Oil in Christmas Spirit. This is one of my favorite scented oils. It just makes me want to redecorate my house all over again. Okay, maybe I don’t love it that much, but I do love it 😉
5. Fill the mason jar the rest of the way up with water and add your tea light candle and voila! Beautiful winter luminaries that you can use for centerpieces, countertops, and anywhere around the home where you need a cozy little boost.
NOTE: Obviously, you’ll need to be careful using them around children and pets due to the flame and of course around anything flammable. But I know you are smart people because you’re my people and you’ll use caution.
Click on an image below to shop that item:
Cheers to winter coziness, lots of glowing light, and natural and happy scents, my friends!
Click the image below for information on how to get started with the purest essential oils on the planet (at the very best price, too!)