My neighbor stopped over yesterday with the cutest little cupcakes I ever did see– miniature hamburger cupcakes! Not only would these be adorable party treats but also a kickin’ tailgating snack. Turst me, make these and they’ll declare you WINNER of the school bake sale. They were so lifelike that at first my son, who’s very anti-hamburger, said “no thank you”. But once his sister dove in and started eating layers of cupcake and brownie he soon changed his tune. While they look super complicated, when she explained the steps they didn’t seem impossible.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- baked vanilla or golden colored cupcakes (no wrapper)– try to make them on the small side
- tray of uncut brownies
- chocolate frosting
- coconut (tinted green with food coloring)
- fruit roll-ups (or fruit by the foot) in pieces, preferably red and yellow
- sesame seeds
1. First, you cut the top off of the cupcake. If the cupcakes are tall you’ll need to trim some off the bottom and top pieces so they more resemble buns. Then you cut your brownies into circles that are just a little bigger than the diameter of the cupcake. These are your burger patties.
2. Next top the patties with a small amount of frosting. Place your fruit pieces on top to resemble ketchup and mustard., and top THAT with the tinted coconut (hello, lettuce!)
3. Put a dab of frosting on the cut sides of the cupcake and put the patty in between– the frosting should hold it together. Wet the top of the cupcake just the tiniest bit… just enough to stick on some sesame seeds. You may need to stick a toothpick through the top.
4. Voila. HAMBURGER CUPCAKES. Consider your world (or, your bake sale) rocked.
I’d tell you what they tasted like, but they were inhaled in five seconds so I’m not sure they even touched my kids’ taste buds. Judging from their smiles they were amazing. Even my anti-burger boy was all smiles and told me the best part of his day was seeing G-Mom (their nickname for our neighbor). Which is funny, because he didn’t even mention the cupcake– just the memory of seeing G-Mom!
I’m not sure how I’m going to top these. Maybe fake french fry fried dough? Ohhh… I know… perhaps a batch of our Cheater Doughnuts!
Are you ready to win the bake sale or tailgating party? Try these and you’ll be crowned the hero… you can thank G-Mom later. 🙂