Woo-hoo! You’ve decided to commit to the KonMari Method and are ready to change your life by discarding those items that don’t bring you joy. So let’s do this! First, be sure to review the initial post in our series with the 7 must-read tips to discarding using the KonMari Method. Then, print out the following FREE printable checklist to help guide you step-by-step through decluttering & organizing each and every category in your home. Don’t let it overwhelm you, this will not happen in a weekend. In fact, plan to spend 4-6 months on this process but DO NOT GIVE UP. Finish each section completely and you will be amazed at the transformation of both your home and life!
A few quick reminders:
- Gather ALL items in each category in ONE PLACE. For example, if you are decluttering towels get ALL the towels from each and every room and throw into one big pile. I’ve organized the checklist by category and also room, but don’t let that hold you back– you may have towels in all the bathrooms, in the garage, basement, and kitchen. Go for ALL OF THEM.
- Make sure you follow the exact order below. It goes from easy to more intense. Tacking the easy parts will prepare you for the harder ones.
- Discard intensely and completely. Do not hold back. Let go of your items until it feels right. You should be able to look at the area and feel joy and peace.
- Store each category all together. For example, store all batteries together. Store all lightbulbs together. Do not store according to frequency of use, but rather use of space. That’s why we discard first, THEN organize afterwards.
- Place this printable on a clipboard with a pen. Use it as you move from category to category. Keep it out to remind you to keep going! I also like to note when I need to replace something. It helps me throw things away when I know I can replace the broken & worn version. For example, most of our socks were worn out and no longer doing their job well. We tossed them and made a note to stock up on new socks that work. Do not buy until you’ve completely discarded, though! You may find you no longer need to purchase something as you declutter and uncover.
PS: I chose the winners of the THREE Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up books giveaway, was it you? If you didn’t win, go ahead and treat yourself to a copy. We’ll be working through it here on the blog but I’ve found that reading the author’s words of wisdom can be especially motivating!
I have two versions depending on your needs. The first has a little color to pep up your discarding for those who like colorful printables. The other is black and white for those who wish to print without using too much ink.
Click here to download and print the COLORFUL version of the FREE printable KonMari checklist.
Click here to download and print the BLACK AND WHITE version of the FREE printable KonMari checklist.
OR CLICK ON EITHER OF THE IMAGES BELOW
Black & White Printable:
Wondering where to start? Check out Why This Little Book Will Change Your Life (+ a KonMari Cheat Sheet) before you do anything else!
Who’s ready? Next up will be how to declutter everything in the clothing category. Plus I’ll let you in on just how much I made by reselling those discarded clothes. 😉
This post is sponsored by my Young Living business! Check out my essential oils page for more information on how you can get these amazing oils in your hands too along with helpful freebies, a gift from me, and tons of support: